Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Disney's Emperor's New Groove [Themed Dinner]

 

"Our moment of triumph approaches. It's dinnertime!" - Yzma

It's not the most brilliantly animated of the Disney classics, but anyone who appreciates sarcasm will appreciate this film. I mean it's David Spade - you know that it's going to be mega snark. I LOVE the dialogue. I love that Eartha Kitt is the voice of the villain (who is by far one of the best modern Disney villains). And who doesn't love Kronk? It's very quotable, so I knew I wanted it to be one of the films we watched as we counted down to our 2013 Disney trip.

For the appetizer, what better dish to serve up than Spinach Puffs! Of course, with mom's gluten free allergy we had to find one that would work for her. Thankfully our local grocery store happened to have a gluten free pie crust that we were able to make work. It was a pain (like super frustrating. I HATE gluten free dough). The spinach filling was pretty good, and I'm not a fan of the green stuff. My parents both said we could just make a meal of them. They didn't last long.

They definitely puffed up, and yes I cut them in the triangle to try and get the look of Kronk's in the movie. I made sure not to let them bake too long. Pretty sure Kronk would give his approval. They were much prettier than my little point and shoot camera suggests.

For the main course I did a pork steak with diablo sauce. I'm not a big fan of mustard in general, but this sauce was pretty dang tasty. Sauces are so far my nemesis, but this one came out with no problem. We rounded out the dish with some broccoli. It was just like Kronk was in the kitchen whippin' up some yummy vittles.





For dessert I made apple raisin Empanadas. I am not a fan, but dad enjoyed them. Mom's didn't do too well being GF, but I tried! That's what counts, right?





This was another very successful menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment